504 Java Profile

504 Java Profile
Two of my favorite things

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On Singing and Sarah

My daughter Sarah is a singer. And an actress. And a dancer.She is expressive, emotional and delightful. You can probably tell that this daddy is proud.  When Sarah sings in a show, she brings you into the scene with her. When she sings in worship, she brings you to the place where you feel God's presence. 

When Sarah was little--before she realized that her singing gene didn't come from me--I would sing her to sleep.  I only knew all of the verses to one hymn so that is the one I sang. 

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand.
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

Sarah called it "Daddy's Song" and while she was talking about me, the name has stuck in my head.  Our Father has given us hope that is nothing less than righteousness based upon the love He lavished on his sleeping children through His Son.  This morning in my devotion time, I read Zephaniah 3:17:
 
17 The Lord your God is with you,
              he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
              he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."NIV

Our Father is mighty to save. He delights in us. He quiets our frantic spirits in the midst of manic days--with His unbelievable love.  Too often, I am so busy to be calmed.  It is like when our children are talking so fast about the crisis of the hour that they do not pause long enough to hear their daddy say, "I've got this. It's taken care of."

And just like I would sing over Sarah, our Father sings over us.  Be still (Ps. 46:10) and you might just hear the melodic sounds of grace singing into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment