On Worship from a Retirement Point of View


In retirement, I have pondered worship as a worshiper and not a worship leader. Since I retired, I admit that it is not always comfortable to go to church. I have led for so long, I may have forgotten how to follow. 

I was prompted to collect thoughts by an article entitled, “The Trouble with Praise and Worship,” posted on social media (Facebook, September 20, 2026) by Dr. Dennis Sempebwa, an African pastor and academic. His post was thought-provoking–he introduces the topic with this paragraph: 

Biblical worship is fundamentally Godward, or Theo-centric—declaring who God is, what He has done, and what He deserves. Jesus said true worship must be “in spirit and in truth.” Yet something has shifted. What we call praise and worship has become increasingly sophisticated: screens, lights, professional musicians, designed sets, flawless transitions. None of this is inherently wrong. Excellence is not the enemy. The trouble begins when aesthetics eclipse adoration—when the crowd is moved, but Christ is missed.

As if the Holy Spirit was prompting me, I was driving and heard part of a sermon by Tim Keller (one of my heroes). Ironically, Keller spoke of the mysterious and biblical reason we should go to church instead of joining the “pajama church” culture who watches online and/or gets sermon content in the car. Though I heard it in the car, it was nonetheless helpful to hear and consider. 

Out of Keller’s sermon and Sempebwa’s article, I arrived at a couple of cliches that might explain what I am feeling and experiencing. Confessionally, as a pastor, worship leader or church staff, Sunday can become a schedule to get through, a “show” to put on or an event to pull off. Whether an “order of worship” or a “run sheet” that resembles a production, we stayed on schedule. If we went long, we would get emails. If the pastor went off script, we would confuse the musicians. If the musicians went off script, it would confuse the pastor. We left little time for prayer, testimony, or even response. 

Okay, a huge oversimplification. We pastors and worship leaders are aware that we need more public prayer, more public reading of scripture, more public testimony. We make adjustments, but too often fall into the tyranny of the order of worship and resume doing what we always do. Well, if you know me, you know I am drawn to carefully crafted and memorable wording. Both of the sources that inspired this blog provided such. Sempebwa said, “Worship is not a stage for talent. It is an altar for surrender.” He went on to say, “True worship can say, “You have been good to me,” but it must also know how to say, “Worthy is the Lamb.” Then he convicted me, saying, “Worship is not a mirror in which we admire ourselves. It is a throne room in which we behold Him.”  I’ll just let you do with that what you will. 

Keller said that a sermon lands because the body of Christ has gathered in expectation. The Bible describes the church as living stones fitted together and the impact of a sermon when in community worship with prayer, songs, liturgy, offering, response–the sermon penetrates mind and heart because that is where God intended it to be primarily delivered. (My paraphrase. Again, I was listening in my car). 

I am learning to be a follower in worship. I am adjusting my expectation to expect God to speak. I may not know all the songs, understand all the lyrics or appreciate the melody. I still drift mentally when our pastor preaches. But I am placing myself in the body of Christ because that is where God has spoken through the words of songs and sermons since songs and sermons were sung and said. I want to be in the water when it is stirred by the Spirit. 

Comments