504 Java Profile

504 Java Profile
Two of my favorite things

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On God's Will and My Agenda

God’s Will and My Agenda

A while back, Henry Blackaby in his important book, Experiencing God said that the question, “What is God’s will for my life?” is the wrong question. The right question is “What is God’s will?” with the thought that if I figure out where God is working, then I can go there and join Him.

Dr. Blackaby’s words are true. We make a mistake in perspective if we insist that God design a plan for our life. God is God and we are not. His plans will go on without our participation. Implied in the belief that God has a plan for my life is that it will be something that is pleasant and agreeable and allows me some degree of control. Maybe the difference is praying in God’s will rather than praying for God’s will.

The danger is when our dreams are too small, our visions are too narrow and our version of God’s will for our life is man-sized instead of God- sized. We believe that God loves us. We believe He wants the best for us. However, as C.S. Lewis wisely observed, “We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be”

So there is the honesty of it. God’s will, but in a controlled environment. We want the tame version of God’ will that fits into our agenda. Pastor and speaker Wilbur Reese called it “Three Dollars Worth of God” in a classic poem:

Three Dollars Worth of God

I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk
or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don’t want enough of God to make me love a black man
or pick beets with a migrant.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want warmth of the womb, not a new birth.
I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.


I study Jesus in the Garden and I see Him praying in God's will. It is about the relationship and God's unfolding redemptive plan for the world, not the outcome or what it might mean for me. Nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done.

2 comments:

  1. Allen - thanks for posting this. Thankful that even when we do not get to talk or see each other as often as I want, you continue to teach me. Thankful for you and Judy and praying for you guys. Thanks for being real and good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I needed this. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I've been praying the wrong prayer. Starting tonight, I'm simply praying for God's will. Please pray that He will show me how I am to join Him in his work in my home (raising my child) and in ministry (at school? at church??). Lots of questions right now, but ultimately I just want to be where God wants to use me.

    ReplyDelete