504 Java Profile

504 Java Profile
Two of my favorite things

Monday, December 6, 2010

On the Music of Christmas

It’s about the music. My iTunes playlist is rather eclectic. I have a lot of Christian music, a good bit of classic rock and roll, a smattering of country, some classical and a couple of selected hip hop that my children or other teenagers told me I couldn’t live without.
My favorite playlist though, is my Christmas collection. I have everything from Bing Crosby to Mannheim Steamroller to Handel to Alvin and the Chipmunks. While a lot of Christmas music is sort of fluffy and not very inspirational (did I mention Alvin and the Chipmunks?), most of the rest of it lifts my spirit like few other kinds of music. For me, the specific worship of the incarnation through music is a language of adoration.
The music of Christmas seems to cross lines of age, tradition, background, and even language. During World War I, British and German troops in Ypres, Belgium, put down their weapons, sang Christmas carols and met in ''No Man's Land'' to exchange gifts in what later became known as the Christmas truce of 1914.

It’s all about the music. But the music is all about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment