504 Java Profile

504 Java Profile
Two of my favorite things

Saturday, February 13, 2010

On Solomon's Exception

In the seminary's daily Bible reading plan (yes, it is Saturday morning, and yes, I am catching up yet again), I was arrested by a verse in 2 Kings 3


3Now Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of his father David, except he sacrificed and burned incense on the high places.


Except that he...

I was privileged to have an amazing morning of worship with Youth Ministry friends at a meeting in Alabama. Billy Beecham led us in a devotion that pointed us to a renewed heart connection with God. My friend Jane expressed what all of us felt as we heard the stories of God "showing up" -- WE WANT THAT! We want to be present when God's glory falls, we want to see the un-seeable, think the unthinkable, imagine the unimaginable.

On the way back to the Atlanta airport in the rental car, I was surfing the satellite radio and I scanned through some station options that had language that I don't use or hear in daily conversations. I had to ponder the movie choices, the television options, the e-mail forwards--all the little stuff that invades my world.

I had to ask myself if my life contains "Solomon's exception clause. "I love and desire God to move, "except" I won't let go of the earthly distractions.

I don't have a formula here. I am not one who believes in a God who punishes me for my sins--He has forgiven me through His gift of Jesus. I do believe that like Solomon, the choices I make have consequences.

It reminded me to evaluate my exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment