504 Java Profile

504 Java Profile
Two of my favorite things

Monday, November 14, 2011

On Pilgrimage

On Friday I leave for Israel. It is a pilgrimage kind of trip and not so much a mission trip. I pray I have opportunity to be on mission for my Lord but our published agenda is to see stuff. One of my favorite treatments of one of my favorite scriptures is Eugene Peterson's "A Long Obedience in the Same Direction" as he interpreted Psalm 121. I won't spoil the book for you but Peterson describes pilgrims (not tourists) who are on a quest. Tourists take something and pilgrims find something. My quest is personal revival. I am blessed to have some time to be relentlessly busy, yet with my attention steered to a world that is far from my own. I look forward to seeing the place where Jesus was, yet my friend Richard Ross has reminded me to never lose sight of who Jesus is. Read Revelation 1 for a refresher.

I pray your holiday is one of pilgrimage. In your rest and reflection and sleep from whatever that is in Turkey that makes you want to nap--I pray that you (as I hope you will pray for me) find renewal in your walk with the Living Lord.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment